In a couple of months, I will be turning 25 meaning I'm midway through my twenties. I always thought these were the years that would be the most exciting of my life, they really aren't. No one warned me about the quarter life crisis that so many 20 somethings experience or how disheartening the day is that your student loan repayment letter arrives (how much interest?!). So here are some are the things that I've learned in the past five years, don't worry they aren't all bad.
- You will never feel like a real adult.
- The less you care about what people think about you, the happier you are.
- Friendships are completely different from what they were at school and university.
- The topics you talk about in those friendships become less censored as the years go on, boundaries are a thing of the past.
- Going on a night out will either fill you with happiness or have you counting down the hours until you can get in bed.
- You quickly learn that you haven't got the metabolism of a 15-year-old anymore.
- Sleep is very important, why stay up till 1am when you could be fast asleep by 10.30 with your electric blanket?
- The day that you learn no one has it completely figured out is the best day of your life.
- No matter how hard you try you cannot make bad people good.
- Spending your Sundays visiting a garden center is bloody good fun.
- You will still get hormonal spots - don't panic.
- Break ups are so painful in so many different ways when you're older.
- Losing friends is part of life, it doesn't mean you hate each other.
- You have to do what is right for you, not what is right for everybody else.
- No one has the right to tell you what you should be doing or judge the choices you make.
- Everyone becomes slightly more sarcastic and cynical.
- Classic books really are awesome.
- It's ok not to understand what the words Bae or On Fleek means.
- We all have moments where we panic and feel like we're having a complete meltdown, those feelings pass.
- You start to wear more and more layers and wonder how you ever went out at university wearing next to nothing without getting hypothermia.
What have you learnt in your 20's?